Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, craig@tuna.progroup.com, khetan@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: routed flags (fwd)

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Craig Shaver wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Khetan Gajjar -----
>
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 2.1-r on a dialup ppp session. Should I be running
> > routed -q or routed -s in my sysconfig ?
> >
> > ---
> > Khetan Gajjar
> > Visit at http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/
> > UUNet-Internet Africa Operations
> > help@iafrica.com or  0800-030-002
> >

> ----- End of forwarded message from Khetan Gajjar -----
>
> I just started using a freebsd box for my ppp connection after using a
> Solaris 5.4 box for some time.  The connection is to stay up all of
> the time to provide a low speed (28.8) permanent connection to the
> internet.  Should this box be a "gateway", a "defaultrouter", and what
> should the routed flag be?

1)  Don't run routed.  ppp will take care of it. "routedflags=NO"
2)  Don't run as a gateway.  (unless other machines will be going through
you, and that is a different set of problems that I don't know about.  ;)
"gateway=NO"
3)  Don't set defaultrouter. "defaultrouter=NO" I think.

Should work OK then.