Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions Mailgroup)
Subject:   sendmail HELP!

Hello people,

Did my earlier mail get to this list about this host//sendmail
problem?  ...I thought that I saw it.  At any rate, there was no
response and I haven't been able to fix this myself...

I've had these mail problems for most of the time that I've run
FreeBSD.  Incoming or outgoing mail has disappeared and not been
delivered.  ((Yes, I do read the mail from root, and I eventually
found the missing mail in /var/spool/mqueue.))

For a brief time, few days to a week or so, the hackings to the
mail setup at work did seem to fix things.  But since they've
installed a new, improved sendmail, my home FBSD feed has been
hosed.  ---It may be a combination of the sendmail/mail setup at
work plus my home system, or it may be my home BSD setup entirely.
I don't know, and nothing that I seem  to do fixes this.

The nutshell version of the problem is that all mail gets shoved
into /var/spool/mqueue.  Sending test mail to `kline@tao.thought.org'
while logged in as `kline' suggests that sendmail is looking for
`tao.thought.org' as a site somewhere out on the net; that it doesn't
know that it already *is* my box.    How do I tell sendmail (or rmail??)
to deliver my mail to my box or mail to tao.thought.org to itself??

I have tried various mods to /etc/hosts without success.  Likewise
with changes to /etc/sendmail.cf.  So far, no luck.

If anyone has had similar snafus and fixed them, _please_ clue me in!!

Below are some recent postmarks:

P111542
T829325866
DdfJAA03051
Mai.mit.edu: Name server timeout
$rUUCP
$sai.mit.edu
$_uucp@localhost
Sai.mit.edu!bounce-digerati
Rkline@tao.thought.org

  [[ ... ]]

T829325867
DdfJAA03054
Mmail.eskimo.com: Name server timeout
$rUUCP
$smail.eskimo.com
$_uucp@localhost
Smail.eskimo.com!kline
Rkline@tao.thought.org
H?P?Return-Path: kline@mail.eskimo.com
HReceived: from mail.eskimo.com (uucp@localhost) by tao.thought.org   (8.6.11/8.
6.9) with UUCP id JAA03054 for kline@tao.thought.org; Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:17:47
-0700

  [[ ... ]]

P35
T829279355
DdfUAA00206
Mtao.thought.org: Name server timeout
$_kline@localhost
Skline
Rkline@tao.thought.org
H?P?Return-Path: kline
HReceived: (from kline@localhost) by tao.thought.org   (8.6.11/8.6.9) id UAA0020
6 for kline@tao.thought.org; Thu, 11 Apr 1996 20:22:35 -0700
H?D?Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 20:22:35 -0700
H?F?From: Gary Kline <kline>
H?x?Full-Name: Gary Kline
H?M?Message-Id: <199604120322.UAA00206@tao.thought.org  >
HTo: kline@tao.thought.org
HSubject: testing, testing.

Note that on my 3 prev uNix boxes I used smail2.5 and smail3.1.  Hats
off to Eric and all that, but sendmail almost requires its own degree, :-(

Thanks for any help here, people.

gary kline