Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:42:55 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Dirk GOUDERS <hank@musashi.et.bocholt.fh-ge.de>
Cc:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More press

Dirk GOUDERS wrote:

>  > There is a short but sweet[1] article on ZDNet today regarding FreeBSD:
>  >
>  > http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,3656,2324624,00.html
>
> Hmm, can't find that sweet thing -- typo?

Nope, it worked fine for me.  Given how short it is, this article really packs
a POSITIVE punch for FreeBSD.  Here's the text:

AlternaTip: FreeBSD

By Kate Botello, Host

We introduce a new operating system this week for our Alternatip.
New to us, that is. It's actually the oldest operating system still
in common use today: FreeBSD.

We spend a lot of time talking about Linux, of course. Linux is a
Unix clone created by Linus Torvalds in 1991 because he wanted to
use Unix but didn't want to pay for it. He should have waited a
year or two.

FreeBSD is Unix, but because the Unix trademark is owned by Open
Systems, it can't be called Unix. You can make a pretty good case
that it's more Unix than the proprietary flavors of Unix that use
the name. FreeBSD is based on the Berkeley distribution of Unix,
but like Linux, it's completely free.

It's also the choice of many companies who prefer it to the commercial
flavors of Unix. Yahoo!, Infoseek, and Excite all run on FreeBSD.
So do Xoom, US West, and the Internet Movie Database.  In fact,
anyone who wants to run true Unix should probably look at FreeBSD
first.

FreeBSD is very like Linux in many ways. It runs all the standard
command shells, including BASH, and of course the X Window environment.
It can even run many Linux binaries, and nearly all Unix programs.
It differs from Linux in the volume of support and information out
there (but remember, all Unix books are directly applicable to
FreeBSD).

You might find it more difficult to find just the right driver for
your hardware, so check the compatibility lists carefully before
installing. But if you're looking for the true Unix experience,
FreeBSD is the closest you can get, at any price.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com