Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:06:13 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Hans Lambermont <hans@lambermont.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk seems broken for slices above cyl 1023

On Sunday 16 June 2002 06:32 pm, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Yes, correct.  fdisk truncates the cylinder number to 10 bits.  I
> looked at the code a couple of days ago, but it's such a mess that
> the best thing to do would be to throw it away and start again,
> possibly importing something from NetBSD or OpenBSD.

The fdisk utility from both NetBSD and OpenBSD have been unable to=20
recognize any drive larger than 1024 cylinders in my experience.  I=20
would recommend you use them before importing any of their code.

The only fdisk utility which I have found to work consistently well=20
with large drives is the one used in the Linux distros.