Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 96 19:32:07 -0800
From:      "That Doug Guy" <tiller@connectnet.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Are Iomega's Zip drives compatabile with FreeBSD?

Greetings,  :-)

	I looked in the FAQ, and did a search on the WWW page, and
didn't see any mention of this.  I am wondering if anyone has had
experiences with Iomega's Paralell Port Zip drives and FreeBSD.  The
basic question is will it work at all, and beyond that, how well does it work?
I think that Santa will be bringing me one of these drives for Christmas, so
I'd like to get some info ahead of time.  *Grin*

System:  Dell Pentium 90 (model XPS 90) with 32 megs of memory,
enhanced paralell port.  I have a WD 1.6 gig EIDE HD, Mitsumi/Panasonic
563 CD-ROM, and the normal bells and whistles (SB16, modem, mouse).
Any other details you need?

	The system will not be running fbsd off the Zip drive, my
intention is to use it to back up files, and possibly transfer files for
business purposes down the road.  The backups will need to support ufs
and MSDOS file systems (seperate disks of course :), and hopefully OS/2's
HPFS file system (that question is in a seperate mail).

	For my intended purposes, and into the future, the media size
with the Zip drive is fine (100M), but since I'm asking, are there any
other devices I should look at?  The price is impossible to beat on the
Zip drives now, and since they are compatabile with my main platform
(OS/2) and DOS, they are a good choice for me.  If there is another
device that will give me better bang:buck ratio, and/or is (more)
compatible with fbsd, please don't hesitate to let me know. :)

	Thanks for your time. This is my first post to the list, and I've tried to
follow the guidelines.  Any omissions are purely in error, not an attempt to
piss anyone off. :-)

Doug