Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 22:33:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi MEDIUM ERRORS?

: > Note that these are unrecovered read errors. The SCSI spec doesn't
: > permit the drive to fix these.  Since this is a new drive, format
: > it with scsiformat, verify that ARRE and AWRE are on in mode page 1,
: > and then try again.  It is disconcerting that you received the
: > drive like this.
:
: If scsiformat doesn't work, as it didn't for me in a similar case,
: try rewriting the whole drive, as in
:
:   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsdN bs=1b

Thanks for the info, guys. I hadn't realized there was a
formatting tool that ran under FreeBSD. Though...it sure as hell
didn't format it in under ten seconds. :-) Oh well. I'll see if
writing zeroes does the trick....

: after making sure ARRE and AWRE are on in mode page 1. That way
: the drive can try to reassign blocks for write error.

You both mentioned those bits....what are they? How are they
manipulated?

: I'd try to get the drive replaced or repaired, though. It's not
: a Quantum Empire by any chance, is it? :-)

A Quantum Fireball...and this *is* the replacement. :-| The first
one appeared to have something wrong with seeking....