Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:36:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with 3-stage bootloader

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> I too cannot boot an ELF kernel yet, as I get a page fault as well :( more
> info when I get some. Oh, yes, this is with the very latest kernel and
> loader (with the esym = ssym = 0 fixes).

Hello

	It might help somebody so, this is the procedure I used to
upgrade to an elf kernel.  I just installed an elf kernel and booted
without any problems.  I'm -current as of Oct 4 12:44pm EDT.

cd /sys/boot
make depend && make && make install

echo "/boot/loader" >/boot.conf

cd /sys/i386/conf
export KERNFORMAT=elf  #you can put "KERNFORMAT=elf" in your /etc/make.conf
config -r configfile

cd ../../compile/configfile
make depend && make && make install

reboot

Regards,

Eric Chet -> ejc@bazzle.com || ejc@FreeBSD.ORG || ejchet@lucent.com
Systems Analysts - Specializing in OOA, OOD, C++, Java and CORBA
Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu the Ultimate in Self Defense, Tai Chi for Life