Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:30:58 -0500
From:      Blake Crosby <dev@samurai.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Source Based Routing

I'm sorry if this is off topic, nor is directed at the wrong list.

I have cable and DSL.  I want to use cable for most of my traffic, as it
is cheaper.  But I want to use DSL for incoming SMTP connections,
because DSL provider allows me to run an SMTP server (cable provider
forbids it) and gives me a permanent IP.  I don't want to have to use
someone else's mail server as a gateway to mine.

The cable provider will not let me send packets back to the Internet
with the source address of my DSL IP.  This causes a problem when a
remote site tries to connect to DSL IP port 25, but the reply packets
get sent out the default route of cable.

How can I make packets for a TCP connection from the DSL IP, go out the
DSL interface, no matter what the IP of the other end of the TCP
connection is?

There used to a be a FreeBSD port called brouted which I think might let
me do it, but I can't find it anywhere now (apparently it had security
flaws).

Blake Crosby
dev@samurai.com
http://www.blakecrosby.com