Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:22:13 -0400
From:      "Chanderpaul, Pradesh" <Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com>
To:        "Chanderpaul, Pradesh" <Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>, "'sderdau@ne.mediaone.net'" <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
Subject:   SOLVED : RE: IS: Network lost after replacing NIC - suspect routi ng

Hello

I solved the problem listed earlier by me.

The problem was related to an incorrect IO setting.

I booted DOS and ran two tools downloaded from 3COM, which
gave conflicting results (none of which worked)
   Autolink.exe gave  : IRQ 10 - I/O  0x300  <== SAME AS MINE
   3c5x9cfg.exe       : IRQ 10 - I/O  0x220 (with PnP setting)

So I booted with boot -c and set the values to both. The
boot process reported no device at 0x220.

Fine. Using the 3c5x9cfg.exe tool, I disabled PnP and used the
auto-config option. This set the values to :-
   IRQ : 10   - I/0 0x210
Success.

A posting from a NetBSD archive provided a clue :-
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/tech/9807/msg00009.html
<http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/tech/9807/msg00009.html>;

Allow me to paste an extract which I think will be useful. (Not sure how
accurate, but it got me thinking.)

<snip> <snip>
One idea: Could it be that the IRQ is configured wrongly on A, but
correctly on B?

Scenario:

from A: ping B
- A sends out ARP, B responds (activity on both ports at the hub),
  but A misses the responses because of the wrong IRQ
- After some seconds, ARP times out and A gives "Host is down" errors
  during the negative ARP caching timeout.

from B: ping A
- from above, B still knows A's MAC address (that was an ARP packet,
  and that gets entered into the ARP cache also for ARP requests)
- So B sends out ICMPs right ahead (-> activity from B to A at the
  hub)
- A misses the packets, again, so doesn't send anything back.

If you wait a bit longer between the A->B test and the B->A test,
B will lose the ARP cache entry, try to resolve A's MAC address
(a few packets from B->A at the hub, no responses) and after
the timeout also generate "Host is down" (and not send out
packets any more till the negative ARP cache entry expires).

<snip> <snip>

Regards

Pradesh Chanderpaul                   Phone:  +27 12 663 3260/6

Stratus Computer Systems              FAX  :  +27 12  663  3281
South Africa CAC
          Email:  Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com
<mailto:Pradesh_Chanderpaul@stratus.com>