Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 02:05:41 -0400
From:      Jason P <steelr@apk.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installation

Hi, I'm going to warn you upfront that I do not posess a great deal of knowledge in command line or
computer's in general.  But I really want to install bsd.  I think its something that can really help me
to broaden my horizon's (per say).  All of the following
questions I will ask will be based on the documentation read at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.7.1-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT.  I want you to know that I am not one of
those who doesn't read anything and then expects everything to be done for me.  The current status is
this:  I did d/l the 2 files needed for the boot and I ran the image file as shown.  I tried it once and
it aborted with a *cannot read error* (i'm running 486dx4/100 win95.  But then I formatted another disk
and ran again and I pretty sure that it copied ok.  I'm afraid to run the boot disc as a result of
compatibility problems
that I may encounter and that is basically what I wrote for in the first place.  So, here it goes.
1)I read about using a boot manager included in the installation.  So does this mean that I don't have to
partition my drive in order to run bsb?
2)I have a 1.24 gig ide h/d and I have about 500 megs left.  This is where i'm stuck.  I was told that I
would have to partition my h/d so that bsb and win95 dont collide.  I have
never partitioned a drive before and I do not have a way to backup the 800megs used on the drive.  So I'm
thinking either A: i have to buy another h/d to run bsd or B: I have to buy an external backup device
just to backup the files to partition.  I've been told by alot
of people that if i tried to make a partition using the dos fdisk that all of my data would be
erased and that is why I have to backup the whole drive.  Additionally I was told that I would have to
reinstall win95 again.  This sounds like an awful lot of work
2)I have to keep win95 on my pc (girlfriend will kill me if I delete it)  So I'm just trying to
find the best way for bsd and win95 to coexist.
3) the floppy that I made from the boot and the fimage files. I dont wanna use this until i
resolve the issue of where bsd is going to run right???  Because right now I'm scared to
boot with the disk until I either get a new h/d or figure out how to partition my disk.
4)  Is there just one nice and simple clear cut file to use for installing.  Instead of downloading all
of the gzar files??  I'm so used to installing windows applications where
you just click on the icon...I suppose thats the problem(subjected to win too long)
thats why I want to use the bsb os to get more/some knowledge of computer's and not
just clicking on pretty little icon's.
5)  I read all about the fips utility and that sounds like something for me to utilies.  But
do I have a dos partition currently?? i dont know.  I says that if you dont have alot of space to use
this but I have plenty of h/d space.  From what I can tell I think the fips will
help me out.  But what worries me is the line that says just delete the partition by examining the size.
6) Last one, promise :)  Re:  Installation:  I have a normal dialup connection to the net
tcp/ip ppp.  i also could access ftp server's so does that mean that when I do resolve the
space issue (partition vs new h/d) that all I will need is the boot floppy??  The installation
will happen directly from the ftp server??  Then It would automatically get the files I need
for the download/installation because thats another thing I dont understan I followed the example given
and downloaded all of the files in the info directory.  I cant find anywere any documentation that say's
for 2.1..etc get such and such files and for this version get
such and such files.  From what I can see all I have to download is all the files in the bin
directory huh??
           Well,  if you reading this line right now chances are you'v read all of this rederick of mine
and for that I am TRULEY grateful.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you in advance....Jason Place.