Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:25:42 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Help! -- I Deleted libcrypt.so.2

I was following the advice of an earlier email about deleting some stuff
that is no longer needed.  However, it appears I deleted
/usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2 by mistake.  I found this out when I attempted to
telnet to it.  So I copied it from another machine but still could not
telnet.  I get the following error:

blacklamb# telnet blacksheep
Trying 192.168.0.2...
Connected to blacksheep.mykitchentable.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2: Shared object has no
run-time symbol table
Connection closed by foreign host.

Because I was planning to upgrade to 4.4 (currently 4.3), I started the
upgrade thinking it would rebuild whatever was needed.  But my make
buildworld failed with the following error:

/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lcrypt
*** Error code 1

How can I recover from my mistake?

Thanks,

Drew