Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:55:55 +0200 (EET)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Trond Endrestol <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Making sure /var/tmp/vi.recover exists during reboot

Hi,

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Not until someone can explain how making /var/tmp a symlink to /tmp is
> sensible, given that /var/tmp is documented as containing "temporary
> files that are kept between system reboots" (see hier(7)).
>
> So basically, no. :-)

 Then let's get the other way around (change in /etc/rc):

 # Recover vi editor files.
-find /var/tmp/vi.recover ! -type f -a ! -type d -delete
+if [ -d /var/tmp/vi.recover ]; then
+ find /var/tmp/vi.recover ! -type f -a ! -type d -delete
+fi
 vibackup=`echo /var/tmp/vi.recover/vi.*`
 if [ "$vibackup" != '/var/tmp/vi.recover/vi.*' ]; then
 	echo 'Recovering vi editor sessions'

 And don't worry about loosing /var/tmp/vi.recover every time you reboot
(unless you really care about loosing the abillity to recover vi edits
between reboots) -- the first time you run vi it will recreate this
directory.

 And let me notice that the original script assumes existence of this
directory whereas if I don't run vi I won't get one...

 I use this small hack to get around the ugly error message I get every
time I boot with MFS mounted /var/tmp -- suited me well until now.

 Ady (@warpnet.ro)