Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:52:46 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Johan Hendriks <Johan@double-l.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi set comment #

Johan Hendriks wrote:
> How can i in vi set a # on multiple Lines to comment out some text.
>
> I know it must be a simple thing but i can not seem to get it right.
>
> Like in a config file i have the following
>
> define service{
>         use                     generic-service
>         host_name               w2003hk03
>         service_description     Explorer
>         check_command           check_nt!PROCSTATE!-d SHOWALL -l Explorer.exe
>         }
>
> And now i want to set a # to all the 6 lines.
>
> Thanks for your time
> Regards,
> Johan

This question is really more germane to a VIm mail list
(http://www.vim.org/) , but I'll tell you how'd I'd do it.

First, turn on line numbers --

    :set nu

The you'd see something like --

  1
  2
  3   define service{
  4           use                     generic-service
  5           host_name               w2003hk03
  6           service_description     Explorer
  7           check_command           check_nt!PROCSTATE!-d SHOWALL -l
  8   }
  9
10

Then replace the beginning of a line with a # symbol --

That's all there is too it.  BTW, VIm help is your friend

    :help replace

--
Regards,
Doug