Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:03:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@unixfreak.org (Dima Dorfman)
To:        culverk@wam.umd.edu (Kenneth Wayne Culver)
Cc:        dib.allan.l@edumail.vic.gov.au (Allan Dib), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting straight into X GUI

Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> In linux it was done by modifying runlevels because everything underneath
> that was set up for you. In FreeBSD you first have to choose which display
> manager to use (xdm, wdm, kdm, gdm etc.....) then at least for wdm, go and
> edit a bunch of files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/wdm (not a topic for this list
> really, and I think there is help for it in the handbook), and then go to
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d and add a script to start the display manager you
> chose. I have this all set up and working with wdm on my personal computer
> if you want to see the configs. Let me know.

Although this is perfectly acceptable, for the sake of the archives, I
believe the Right Way(tm) is to start (x|w|k|g)dm from /etc/ttys.
Take a look:

  dima@hornet% grep xterm /etc/ttys
  ttyvf   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on

By default, the first argument is ttyv8 instead of vf, and 'on' is
'off'.  If you change the off to on, xdm will be started by init on
ttyv8 when it starts up.  You can, of course, change xdm to whatever
you want as long it supports the 'nodaemon' option.

Regards

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for PGP public key.