Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 03:33:17 -0700
From:      "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "j mckitrick" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>; "j mckitrick"
<jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>; <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 2:01 AM

I'll see if I can look up those stories though, I have never read them, but
I would probably find them worthwhile.

So it's a stretch to relate this back to -advocacy, but why not try?  In the
end, I do not think any of our "public" sentiments should have any form of
personal attack to them.  As they say about BSD Advocacy, or lack thereof,
we don't really have any big spokesperson, and therefore no one to
accidentally make comments that the media can take out of context and cause
all sorts of ruckus.

With the increased media attention, I think it behooves us to be ready to
give answers to the questions we may be asked, that are more palatable to
the public.  Many of us have varied and strong opinions.  That is great and
wonderful.  But, well I'm starting to ramble.  Sorry, I have a point but I
do not know myself what it is.

At some point though, someone will be coming back to FreeBSD, and asking "So
what do you think of all this attention Bill Gates and Microsoft is suddenly
giving to FreeBSD?"  And you know this person is going to be doing their
best to evoke some sort of negative, detractory, or snide comment from
whoever they are interviewing.  And I think we should be ready, with an
answer that we have given some thought to.

[stuff cut]
> technology or education into technology.  There's a seeding of future
> Microsoft sales here that should be obvious.

Hm, didn't notice that ;)

> Call me a hard-ass but I'd have a lot more respect for their giving if
Bill
> Gates
> himself volunteered at least 4 hours a week, every week, dishing out soup
in
> a soup kitchen, or assisting in a clinic, or otherwise directly working
with
> the needy people, rather than simply having one of his employees peel off
> another million or two from the company coffers.  After all he's so rich
> that he doesen't have to work a lick of time for the rest of his life,
he's
> far more able to take 4 hours a week doing this than you or I who are wage
> slaves.  It also might do wonders to improve his own morality, which
frankly
> would do more to help the computer industry than any number of anti-trust
> lawsuits.  Bill and Melinda may be giving, but on the other side of the
door
> Bill is running a large corporation that is basically involved in criminal
> activities.  There's a disconnect here between personal morality and how
he
> conducts his business that should be obvious.  If his personal giving
would
> have a positive effect on his own morality then I'd applaud it, but I
don't
> see any evidence of this - very likely because he himself is only
connected
> to the administrative operations of their Foundation, and doesen't
regularly
> devote personal time to the one-on-one work with the needy that he's
> funding.

Give him time, I think as he gets older he'll become a better person.  I
would say, I am convinced there has been _some_ progress in his personal
morality.  That there could be more progress, no doubt.  The same is true
for all of us, I would be willing to say ;)

The odd thing is, perhaps we need to hammer out what the "religious" aspect
of FreeBSD is.  What I mean is, for Stallman, ESR, and other GNU/Linux
advocates, their attachment is very much a belief in the goodness and
morality of their cause, and they are very vocal about it.

While perhaps many BSD people have learned to be quiet, both as a matter of
letting peace replace war, and because perhaps our belief also includes an
attitude of "you do what you want, I'm not going to bother you," perhaps it
is worthwhile to clearly explain the attitude behind the BSD license.

Concretely, I suppose what I am thinking is (atleast as a start):
If you browse the netbsd and openbsd sites, when you click on the links that
describe how their OS is "free", you get pages such as:
http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html
http://www.netbsd.org/Goals/redistribution.html
When you do the same for FreeBSD, you get:
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/index.html

I love that FreeBSD strives (in my interpretation) to let the code/license
speak for itself.  But what's good because I like it is not necessarily good
for advocacy.

Perhaps making real progress in advocacy means we need to have a clearer,
bolder voice.  Perhaps what we need is an "Advocacy Officer" or something.

On the other hand, perhaps the slow, steady progress we have always been
making, where we let our code speak louder than our words, has done just as
good a job as anything else getting us where we want, in mindshare and
whatnot.

I don't know, and apologies for rambling :)

> >Projects such as Linux and FreeBSD cannot be forced out of
> >business, as long
> >as there are volunteers working on them, they still live.  Even when no
one
> >works on the project, as long as the code is archived somewhere, it has
the
> >opportunity to be ressurrected someday when the need returns..
> >

> Unfortunately, archived code is pretty worthless after a short period of
> time.
>
> If you want, you can get any of the old UNIX BSD code that was run on the
> VAX or PDP's it's out there for purchase for the cost of the media.  But,
if
> a group was starting out from scratch to port one of the old distributions
> to the PC today, it would take an immense amount of effort.  You probably
> could
> write it from scratch just as easily.

I'll take your word for it, as I don't intend to look at the old VAX BSD
code anytime soon, nor to start from scratch on FreeBSD/VAX. ;)
Gilbert