Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 96 07:37:01 PDT
From:      bisbey@loretta.la.ca.us (Richard Bisbey II)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which DMA channel to use with an AHA-1542C and a SoundBlaster 16?

Hi,

Joerg suggest this address for an answer to my question:

	What DMA channels do you use when you have both an
	Adaptec 1542C disk controller and a SoundBlaster 16,
	i.e., is there a standard non-standard place to put 'em?

I have searched through the FreeBSD handbooks, and, if I read the FreeBSD
handbook correctly, it says to use DMA channel 5 for the Adaptec controller:

controller   aha0   at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq 11 drq 5 vector ahaintr

[for Adaptec 154x]

But, the handbook also says to use DMA channel 5 for the SoundBlaster's
16-bit audio:

   device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
          SoundBlaster digital audio.

     Note: If your SoundBlaster is on a different IRQ (such as 5),
     change irq 7 to, for example, irq 5 and remove the conflicts
     keyword. Also, you must add the line: options ``SBC_IRQ=5''

   device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
          SoundBlaster 16 digital 16-bit audio.

     Note: If your SB16 is on a different 16-bit DMA channel (such as 6
     or 7), change the drq 5 keyword appropriately, and then add the
     line: options "SB16_DMA=6"

   device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
          SoundBlaster 16 MIDI interface. If you have a SoundBlaster 16,
          you must include this line, or the kernel will not compile.

I've already moved the 1542's I/O address (330) to 130 to make way for the
SoundBlaster's MIDI at 330.  If you have suggested DMA channels that most
people use when combinding these two cards, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Richard
bisbey@loretta.la.ca.us