Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:24:32 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   configuring routing for ipv6 - simple case.

Hi all,
I feel like a dufus for asking because this should be simple, but I'm stuck at
the point where I cannot see what I am doing...

attempting to set up an IPv6 mobile IP test bed.

currently I am using site local addresses, specifically fec0:0:0:229::,
fec0:0:0:10:: and fec0:0:0:172:: for each of the three networks I wish to set
up.

I do not want global connectivity as such (yet).

these are running over an existing (single) ipv4 network, so I only wish to
configure IPv6 routing, etc., with no IPv4to6 or 6to4 translation.

I have 4 PCs to configure. Three are on the 229 network, one is a standalone
node, the other two should be gateways to the 172 and 10 networks
respecitvely.

AFAICS, this should be a fairly simple set up...

so, with nothing more than this, can someone please outline how to set up IPv6
routing in this situation?

I believe I should not need to use route6d or similar just to do this static
routing?

to make matters somewhat complicated, I am running the KAME snap for MIP6
connectivity, which afaict requires rtadvd. does this mean that I need to set
net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1 ???  since I have net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1
because I am using wifi cards on the 10 and 172 networks as APs in hostap
mode, is this going to cause a problem?
I did see a table of net.inet6.ip6.forwarding and net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv
settings last week (and do you think I can find it again this week?) that
suggested that having both to 1 is either invalid or experimental...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures