Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:43:01 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
To:        Martin Stanislav <stanisl@uakom.sk>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mylex dac960 controller

> I'll try to be short.  I've got here an older iron Alpha 4000
> with apparently an old mylex DAC960 RAID controller (attached
> messages file holds more details).  Alpha is running latest
> stable 4.6 release (attached uname.txt show that).  During disk
> activity on mlxd0 mlx0 controller logs:
>  "mlx0: I/O error - attempt to write beyond end of drive"
>
> I found your advice on freebsd-scsi
> (http://spitfire.velocet.net/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2001-May/001116.html)
> suggesting setting dsk->si_iosize_max to (8 * PAGE_SIZE) and
> an explanation the problem's root might be non-page-aligned I/O
> and the very limited scatter-gather these cards support.
>
> So I've build new kernel & modules applying the modification and
> the log message seems to be gone.  Don't know if all of the
> problem the message refferes to neither how much performance
> if any is gone away following the modification.

Martin; thanks for testing this.  If someone on the Alpha list wouldn't
mind committing the change, I think we'd all be happy.

> Another message stating
>  "mlx0: command failed - rebuild successfully terminated"
> appeares in log while running 'mlxcontrol config mlx0'.
> 'mlxcontrol status mlxd0'  and  'mlxcontrol check mlxd0' are
> running fine.  However, mlxcontrol is a management utility
> so the first log message is more of an issue I'd guess.

I'm not sure where this could be coming from.  Does it cause any
problems?  If not, I'd just put it down to funny firmware and not worry
too much.

> I hope I'm not repeating known facts or sending email to
> wrong address.  It's just 'cause of my effort to keep old
> iron useful little longer.

Not at all; I've been waiting literally years for someone to actually
test that theory for me.

Regards,
Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not