Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, pat.groce@state.sd.us
Subject:   Re: SPAM HELP

>From: pat.groce@state.sd.us
>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:15:43 -0500

>Our freebsd box is currently being used for redirected spam messages.
>Sometimes 6000-7000 messages a day! Any idea on how i can prevent this?
>Is there a web page or other resource covering this topic? On
>freebsd.org i found some stuff on filtering inbound spam but nothing on
>this redirection problem.

Either upgrade to sendmail 8.9.1 (note that you'll need to explicitly
specify machines for which you *want* to relay mail), implement Claus
Assman's anti-relaying rulesets (this is what I did at home, running
sendmail 8.8.8), or implement a different MTA that handles the
non-relaying.

In addition to these, you might want to consider implementing Wietse
Venema's "TCP Wrappers" package.  In particular, sendmail can be
compiled with support to make use of the TCP Wrappers libraries, and
thus log "interesting" events.  (I also did this at home.)

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621