Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 20:50:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        bugs@ns1.win.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guido's pwd_mkdb improvements (fwd)

Brian Tao wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Mark Hittinger wrote:
> >
> > 12,870 lines in /etc/passwd today.
>
>     Sorry, I'm just getting back up to speed again with my new job in
> Toronto... what are these improvements to pwd_mkdb?

A simple observation: most master.passwd updates are done because
only one line needs to be updated. So I added an option to
pwd_mkdb that only touches a specific record.

Before commiting any of these, some discussions willbe necessary as
I'd like a complete solution. That means that there is support to delete
an entry and, when it's up to me, there willbe some replacement for
vipw. Vipw is bad in that you can't tell which records were changed.
Vipw can still be used, but only with care as *large* rebuild times
are to be expected. I'll post my patches later tonight and I'd like other
to comment on them.

-Guido