Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:03:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>, "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Windows EXE

Hello -

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:

> > CJU> Is there any way to compile Windows executable files in BSD?

_If_ this means compiling an *.exe in FreeBSD and running it on a MsWin32
machine (is that what you meant??), I suppose that means a cross-gcc with
an appropriate set of header files, but I never tried to set up such a
beast.

> I think there is a compiler in the ports for compiling Win32 executables
> under fbsd. mingw32, i think

Not quite - my understanding of 'mingw32' is that it provides ports of the
principal 'gcc' tools to run natively in MsWin32 (in contrast to running
'gcc' tools built for Cygwin, in Cygwin over MsWin32).

If you want to run in a *nix environment and target MsWin32, I would try
to build that type of cross-gcc, and drag in header files as they were
found to be needed.

I never tried this - I would take the question to the 'gcc' or 'egcs'
mailing lists.

Let us know what you find.

 - John Mills