Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 15:16:26 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd), freebsd-isp@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ISP)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   The Grail Quest - Bypassing the Annex.

After much traffic on the mail lists about the Annex not passing traffic,
I decided to by pass it. Here are the results.

The kernel Version: Pentium 120. SOYO board PCI.
FreeBSD nanguo.chalmers.com.au 2.2-961014-SNAP FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP #0: Fri Jan 31 13:00:40 EST 1997     root@nanguo.chalmers.com.au:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL  i386

I set up my Ethernet so that they all talk to one machine, acting as a
gateway through a kernel pppd link to the Internet provider. I finally
got the pppd link up, with much help from net folk, and talking to the
ethernet. Traffic flowed freely in all directions. Or so I thought.

To the best of my ability to sus it out, the original problem seems to
be persisting. Some folk can talk to me. Some can't. Some run so slow
as to be useless. Yet others, some 5000 a month, have no problems.
I don't know if the other machine https://ruby.chalmers.com.au
has similar problems. It's a trial SSL server. 486 2/66

So, next step. I swapped out the ethernet cable. 		nada.
	       I swapped out the ehternet card.			nada.

A helpful net person tells me that he can connect to my www pages
with NO PROBLEMS so long as he uses FreeBSD 2.1.5.
If he uses 2.2, it wont connect!!!! Is there
a subtle message here I wonder.?

So, here I sit. Direct ppp link. No Annex.

clueless in Mackay.

robert
--
chalmers.com.au: P.O. Box 2003. Mackay. 4740   		   +61-0412-079025
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au