Date:      26 Jul 2002 13:01:17 +0200
From:      Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@meuh.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Tim Strike <tstrike@targetnet.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.6 Installation on SCSI-only server

> I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE on several i386 systems
> (clones) that have dual SCSI and no IDE disks.  These systems are
> currently running an older version of FreeBSD (3.3 through 3.5,
> I'm not sure how they were installed as that pre-dates me tenure).

> The installation of 4.6-RELEASE locks shortly after a message regarding
> ppc0 (something to the effect of "ppc0: Parallel port not found"),
> when I think it is looking for disk controllers or disk drives.  For
> kicks, I tried 4.5-RELEASE as well, and it failed in the same way.
> When I get a chance, I'll try 4.4, 4.3 and 4.2 as well since those were
> the last installations that I completed myself (on similar but not
> identical hardware).

> I've tried booting from floppy (to use a network install), and from both
> SCSI and IDE CD-ROM.  I've tried the ATA workaround on the odd chance
> that was the problem, but still no luck.

> Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before?  Any ideas on how to
> either fix it or get more information on what is going wrong
> (and what it's trying to do just before lockup)?

> Any help is appreciated.

I got the same problems yesterday, the system was running quite good,
but it became instable, and at reboot it was locking after probing
parrallel port or serial port depending on the kernel used.
The fastest solution we found was to change the whole system,
only keeping ATA controlers (3 HPT370 cards) and disks.
We suspect a failure on the motherboard.

If someone could found another explanation ...

Regards

--
Yann Droneaud      <ydroneaud@meuh.eu.org>     +33 6 88 40 82 43
<ydroneaud@tuxfamily.org> <yann.droneaud@iupmime.univ-lemans.fr>