Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:42:51 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32bitsOnline comparison of BSD v. GPL

Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>> Hmm... The ampersand in the URL got replaced with an HTML tag.  Using
>> Internet Exploder?  The correct URL is:
>
> What's Internet Exploder?  Something invented by those who haven't
> completed high school?  Or do you purposely not spell things correctly?
>
> FWIW, I was using Lynx, but any browser should recognize &amp as &.  What
> were you using?  Netscape Navigator? Hooray for you.

Internet Exploder is a derogatory name for MS's web browser (Exploiter
is another one), known for munging addresses by excessive use of HTML
encoding.  Netscape didn't catch the HTML substitution for three
reasons:

1) Proper URLs are read, passed, and written as plain text, there's no
   valid reason for there to be any HTML in them.
2) You sent a plain text e-mail, HTML decoding is disabled by
   definition.
3) The ampersand and semicolon characters are valid in arguements
   passed to CGIs.

If your browser decoded the HTML tag in the URL, then I'd say it's
broken.