Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 01:03:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Fanning <cfanning@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBUFs and IPFW revisited

> >1. So, the question becomes, does configuring ipfw into the kernel change the
> >behavior of NMBCLUSTERS or reset it somewhere?
>
>    netstat -m reports current/peak. The 'current' should shrink as expected,
> and the peak will indicate the most that have been in-use at one time since
> the system was booted. Does this answer your question? netstat in -current
> reports current/peak/max and is thus easier to figure out how many are
> actually configured (max).

Yes sir, it certainly does.

I assumed it was current/max since the first time I ever looked at netstat -m
was when peak == max.  So when it says 60% in use, it's referring to 60% of
the peak?  That certainly didn't help my confusion either.  It seems a little
strange, but OK.

Makes sense if the buffers aren't allocated until they're used - which is
why "peak" would never drop because they're not getting freed.  (If they
were getting freed, we'd have to rename peak!)

Next time maybe I'll look at the source code.  FreeBSD does come with sources
right? :)

Thanks for your help on this whole episode, it's been greatly appreciated!

Chris