Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 00:24:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't traceroute to my virtual hosts

Folks,

I have configured virtual hosts like so:

ifconfig de0 inet alias x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffffff

The virtual domains work fine except that I can't traceroute to them.
The traceroute basically times out trying to reach the last hop.  My
guess is that it is due to the fact that the virtual host machine is on
subnet 0xfffffff0.

Ifconfig doesn't like it when I try to configure the netmask with the
0xfffffff0 mask so I'm assuming you have to use 0xffffffff.  Is the
inability to finish a traceroute normal behaviour for FreeBSD virtual hosts?

Thanks,

Craig