Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:50:53 +0100
From:      "Gallagher, Mick" <mick.gallagher@roke.co.uk>
To:        "'cjclark@home.com'" <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, 'Joshua Swink' <jswink@pacbell.net>
Subject:   RE: RZ100 ATA Controller Problem - Possible Workaround??

Hi Crist,

Yes, a related problem report exists.

See kern/17400

Thanks,
Mick

-----Original Message-----
From: Crist J. Clark [mailto:cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com]
Sent: 19 April 2000 02:59
To: Gallagher, Mick
Cc: 'questions@freebsd.org'

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 02:59:15PM +0100, Gallagher, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently wrote to this list with a mail under the subject "Big
> Installation Problems".
>
> Basically, so far as I understand, FreeBSD 4.0 won't install on my machine
> because of driver problems with the RZ100 ATA controller.
>
> Apparently this controller was fairly common on early Pentium machines.
>
> And so what's the next step for anyone in possession of an RZ100?
>
> In order to help me figure out my options, here are some questions...
>
> 1) FreeBSD commitment to old hardware
>
> I guess its likely that development priorities are more focussed on newer
> hardware problems, rather than problems associated with older kit. So am I
> realistically going to see a fix for this anytime soon?
>
> 2) 3.4 Installation Floppies with 4.0 CDROM
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD, so please forgive me if I'm asking an outstandingly
> stupid question: In the absence of a 4.0 RZ100 fix, can I use installation
> floppies from a previous release to kick-start the installation from my
4.0
> CDROM? Or is the 4.0 CDROM going to overwrite the kernel drivers from the
> floppy anyhow?
>
> 3) Back to 3.4
>
> Is my only realistic course of action to install 3.4 (is it 3.4?) and
forget
> 4.0 (for now)?
>
> Advice and opinions gratefully received.

I have this problem too. See my thread, "Problem Booting 4.0R Floppy
(ATA Driver?)." And note the date. The day after 4.0-RELEASE was
announced. :(

3.4 was and is running again just fine on this machine (but it was a
pain to reinstall it). I built my own kernels with some different ata
options, but never got it to boot. Hell, I took off all IDE devices
and compiled the kernel without ATA support and it still died.

Has anyone put in a PR on this? Now that it seems pretty definate that
it is the IDE controller, I will submit one if there isn't one
already.