Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/42137: Path MTU broken - initial too-large packet continuously resent

The following reply was made to PR kern/42137; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To: Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:46:00 +0200

 Hi Jeff,
 Thanks for the tcpdump, i think i was able to identify the problem.
 As i wrote in the PR tcp_ctlinput() is responsible for calling tcp_mtudisc
 but tcp_ctlinput() does not only check src/dst-port it also examines wether
 the tcp-sequence number (found in the ICMP-response) is between snd_una (send
 unacknowledged) and snd_max (highest number sent). I found out that the
 ICMP-responses doesn't contain the correct seq. number, the first two bytes
 are correct but the last two aren't.

 So i think it is a router problem (as it was in my case ;).

 HTH
 Martin

 --
 "At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers into a
  computer room with a single distribution of BSD Unix. Upon opening