Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 16:06:03 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@cc.hut.fi>
Subject:   Re: UFS to FAT32

Stefan Parvu wrote:

> Thank you very much for email. Well I will keep some testing related with
> FFS and comparing the resulkt vs Solaris.
>
> Can I turn on the write cache for ATA from sysctl I think ?

It's a loader tunable.  You will have to add hw.ata.wc="1" to your
/boot/loader.conf file.

> Are in 4.3-RELEASE softupdates integrated for fast and lot of
> improvements? Like OpenBSD 2.9 has announced big
> improvements around 60x times faster IO operations ?

Softupdates are integrated in FreeBSD for a while now.  Since
4.3-RELEASE, there is a new newfs options which allows you to activate
stoftupdates while formatting your partition.  This is used in
sysinstall to allow people to activate softupdates at the installation.

The improvements in OpenBSD 2.9 are due to the new dirpref() code which
has also been implemented in FreeBSD by McKusick a little before.

> Another question is: Do we plan to add -async for mount_msdos ?

No idea.

> stefan

Maxime
--
Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations ; BSD is the One True Code
Key fingerprint = F9B6 1D5A 4963 331C 88FC  CA6A AB50 1EF2 8CBE 99D6