Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:50:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIS/YP problems on FBSD 4.2-STABLE

Dear Sirs.

Well, I'm sorry bothering you again with these problems,
but they become serious to me, sorry.

My intention was to build up a NIS/YP domain. But it seems
to be very complex.

I have a YP master server as described in the handbook, two
slave servers and some clients, all running FreeBSD 4.a-STABLE
with the last cvsupdate today, 6 pm UTC.

The main problem is: ypbind is not able to connect its
domain. On two slaves I bound ypbind to the "localhost",
either by -ypsetme or by -S DOMAIN,slave_host_name. But in
all cases ypbind gets a timeout and reports not able to
connect the server controlling that domain. The same phenomenon
is seen on all clients.

I have had some trouble with the tcpwrapper of inetd (its
working in how to interpret ip/netmask differs from what it
really accept in /etc/hosts.allow, but this has been solved -
I can not use this: ip/netmask, instead, I must use 10.0.0.
instead of 10.0.0.1/24).
But in the worst case, I switched off (also kernel-code!)
ip-firewall, inetd -lwW (use inetd -l) and used a kernel like
the GENERIC kernel. No TCP/IP extensions in kernel, no
special security facilities. But always the same :-(

ypbind on clients (ypbind -s) does not connect to ypserv,
and on servers, a local bound ypbind is unable to communicate
with the local server. it seems that something blocks the
ypserver to propagate its domain-serving facilities, but I do
not know what ...

I use both /var/yp/securenets and /etc/hosts.allow, but in case
of tracking down the problem I only used /var/yp/securenets
for the servers while inetd wasn't in tcpwrapper mode. No effect.
It seems that either myself is buggy - or FreeBSD. I read some
notes about buggy TCP/IP implementations in the handbook (page
415, 17.7.5), but I have a homogenous FreeBSD environment so I
can not assume to have such a buggy environment ...

My question is: how can I do some research on what's going
on between ypbind and ypserv on the same machine and on
the network? How can I perform some examinations ?

Thnaks in advance,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)