Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:52:08 -0400
From:      Myron Plichota <myron.plichota@sympatico.ca>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Package compression format changed

After RTFMing and browsing local doc and the main ftp site release tree
I wrote a simple script ("getme") which has worked with no problems so
far.

"pkg_add
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.6.2-release/Latest/$1.tgz"

Example usage: "getme acroread5"

Ahhh, now I can continue evangelizing FreeBSD to all my friends and
relations.

BTW I installed what's advertised to be 4.6.2 via FTP over a DHCP cable
modem on Aug 26 and have been able to adapt it to a PPPoE DSL connection
thanks to the excellent handbook doc. It would be great to expand
sysinstall's protocol suite to include PPPoE. This would eliminate
having to physically move DSL-connected boxen to cable modem equipped
premises during upgrades, and manually tweak and untweak
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf, /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/hosts by
hand. This short list is all I am aware of and quite managable in
hindsight, but was a bit scary for a newbie like me to mess with at
first.

Myron Plichota