Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:13:43 -0400
From:      "Paul Horechuk" <phorechuk@docucom.ca>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   X won't start

Thanks for a couple of previous suggestions, but I still have the same
problem. I checked the symbolic link for X and it appeared correct, except
for the group access:

lrwxrwxr-x   1 root     12000       24 May 28 20:58 /usr/X11R6/bin/X ->
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64*

I recreated it as wheel.

Still no luck. FYI I get the following errors:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2

_X11SERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_X11SERVTransSocketINetCreateListener:...SocketCreateListener() failed
_X11SERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for tcp

fatal server error:
failed to establish all listening sockets
giving up.

xinit: no such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error

These errors occur if I login as root and immediately use startx.

If I go through /stand/sysinstall, answer OK and SAVE at the various prompts
for the XF86 Configure options, then quit out, I can run startx with no
problems.