Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:21:42 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        nickhead@folino.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

In message <20010302134531.26192.qmail@www1.nameplanet.com> nickhead@folino.com writes:
: What is the prefered way to update a remote machine now?  For years, I've run a
: make buildworld, installworld, cd /sys/i386/conf config, build and install a
: kernel, then reboot.  All through telnet or ssh.  I've never had problems in
: the past, and all goes well.  Is there a better way to do this on a machine
: that you can't get to the console?

drive to the location of the machine.  Your method will often fail for
major releases.  I know that I had to walk over to the console of my
3.x machine to reboot in 4.x single user so I could do the upgrade.
The 4.x binaries wouldn't run on the 3.x kernel due to the signal
changes.

Warner