Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:34:12 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        brian@litzinger.com
Cc:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP ADVANCED ISSUES

> On %M 0, Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com> wrote:
> > Hello, again.
> >
> > >From time to time, my connection with my ISP goes bad, lowering the
> > response time and even the speed for the data flow.
> >
> > Is there a way to instruct PPP or PPPD to
> > discnnect and reconnect in case of bad thruoghput ?
>
> I don't know about the implementation in FreeBSD, but PPP has a
> protocol called LQR (link quality report).  Some PPP implementations
> can be configured to drop the connection and reconnect if the LQR
> reports are below a certain threshold.  However, they directly
> address lost data rather than slow data.  However, LQRs which
> don't respond in time can count against a slow connection.

User-ppp has only one LQM strategy - if we haven't had a reply to the
last 5 LQRs (or ECHO LQRs), we drop the link instead of sending a 6th.

I may implement more strategys in the multilink version.

The problem is that it seems that a lot of ISPs will just REJ
QUALPROTO LCP requests, so we're stuck using ECHO LQRs which are
useless for determining a bad link :-(

> I could also envision a script which pings the ISP side of the interface.
> If the times come back too slow, you could kill off the PPP session
> and spawn another.

Once it's been determinted that the link needs to be recycled,
a simple ``pppctl -p xxx myport down\; dial'' will do the trick.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;