Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 21:42:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
To:        jimd@dutton3.it.siu.edu (Jim Dutton)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: web500gw-2.1b2

| Question: why does the FBSD port of WEB500GW-2.1b2 require Apache when
| WEB500GW is its own HTTPD and doesn't talk to other HTTPD's?

Someone else also gave me feedback on this.  web500gw can be run in two
modes, as a standalone daemon or as a CGI.  I set up the port to install
it to be used as a CGI, for Apache, with the hopes that those who use
other web servers would add support for them.

It's becoming clear that people would rather have it installed as a
standalone daemon (in /usr/local/bin).  That, plus the recent thread in
-ports about what to do if a web server is required, have convinced me
to go this route.

I'll submit patches tomorrow to this effect; I'll have the port print
instructions on what to do if you want to use it as a CGI, but the web
server will no longer be required by a DEPEND.

Thanks!

--
Brent J. Nordquist / bjn@visi.com   |   Windows not found
W: +1 612 905-7806                  |   (C)heer, (D)ance, (S)ing?