Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:38:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to add Netgraph to all ethernet interfaces.

<<On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:50:08 -0800, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> said:

> What do these do? I've seen soem VLAN code in the kernel.. what is it?
> and ToS (Type of Service?).. what does it require?

Nothing -- just stick on the right header and go.  (Of course, that
won't do you much good unless you have fancy queueing going on to make
sure that your priority packets actually get out the door...)  The
if_vlan driver implements precisely this for 1Q (and 1p would use the same
encapsulation header, just setting different bits).

I chose this implementation approach because it was easier than
introducing the (IMHO preferable) notion of subinterfaces everywhere.

-GAWollman