Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 13:26:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Jason Cribbins <jasonc@concentric.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available

Do you have firewall_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf?

The errors below tell me you haven't built IPFRIREWALL support into your
kernel or you haven't loaded the ipfw kernel module (look in /modules).

- Scott

smacked into the keyboard previously by owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

 >Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:52:51 -0500
 >From: Jason Cribbins <jasonc@concentric.net>
 >To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
 >Subject: ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
 >
 >I just added the following to my kernel config and rebuilt it:
 >options         IPDIVERT
 >
 >Now I get the following when I try to show, list or add a divert for natd:
 >3:45pm ns1:/ # ipfw show
 >ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
 >3:45pm ns1:/ # ipfw list
 >ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
 >3:45pm ns1:/ # ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via lnc0
 >ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Protocol not available
 >3:46pm ns1:/ #
 >
 >On the previous build of the kernel the show and list commands worked fine.
 >I was getting trouble adding any diverts though.
 >
 >This box is running FreeBSD4.3 and also has dhcpd, natd, and named running.
 >And natd is still not working.  Whatever other info you need let me know.  I
 >didn't think I should send you every conf file here even though I have
 >checked a dozen of so of them and everything seems from what I can tell.

Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48