Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:26:10 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I want to upgrade an old (8.3-RC2) FReeBSD installation, but can't install subversion

Hi,

I did not got through the full thread to see if you found a solution.

Allow me to tell you how I generally update multiple machines no matter
in what state they are in. If they are all on the same source version,
I compile on one machine the new kernel for the target machine. I will
install it them either via NFS on other machines or via bootable media
on which I copy the newly compiled source tree and the new binaries.

When the other machine is up, I go through the normal installation
procedure for kernel and world. Be careful with mergemaster and do not
overwrite some configuration files.

It might seems awkward but I did not run into any problems since I
moved to this procedure.

You might get first a generic kernel onto an external media and upgrade
to generic if you want before compiling the 'real thing' on the target
machine.

Erich