Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:17:46 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Atom Smasher <atom@smasher.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to disallow logout

On 10 September 2010 14:11, Atom Smasher <atom@smasher.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Ivan Voras wrote:
>
>> 1) power outage of the server
>> 2) power outage on the client
>> 3) network problems (ssh or TCP connection drop)
>> 4) administrative command (e.g. root executes "killall $shell")
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I don't think there is a way to protect from all of those, so any effort
>> in protecting from only part of the problem looks useless.
>
> ========================
>
> you forgot cosmic rays, nuclear war and zombie apocalypse, among other
> failure modes. *NOTHING* is capable of protecting against everything; a good
> solution will most always have pitfalls; as a sysadmin/engineer/manager one
> has to either accept the pitfalls or find a more acceptable solution, which
> usually means different pitfalls. that doesn't mean a given solution is
> useless.

On the other hand, things such as power outages, network blackouts and
and root security compromises have been statistically shown to appear
more often than zombie apocalypses, so I'd guess, though of course
without absolute certainty, that those problem should be solved first
:)

Otherwise, it's just as effective as putting a README file in the home
directory saying "please go away" :)