Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:56:47 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Menu question

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:47:22PM -0500, Jud wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:26:21 -0500 (EST), "Jerry McAllister"
> <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> said:
> > >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > >  When I start my system I have a choise of 2 OS's:
> > >
> > >  F1: ???
> > >  F3: FreeBSD
> > >
> > >  The question is how do i change "???" to "Win2000"?
> >
> > This is a frequent question, so there is a lot in the archives on it.
> > But, briefly, the boot manager was written before W2K (and W-XP, etc)
> > and so, doesn't have a name for them.  It can boot them as long as
> > they use a "standard" boot sequence.  It just doesn't know what to
> > call them.

For multiple boot systems I really would recommend grub, it seems to be
able to boot anything, and is configured via an ordinary text file once
installed..and allows editing of bad entries at boot time. You have to
get your head around it's OS-neutral (for want of a better expression)
way of addressing disks, but then it's an excellent piece of work.

The documentation is a little skimpy, and lots of mentions of Hurd (the
O/S that I suppose will surface one day, probably not before I grow old
and die though I think).

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson