Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 09:45 PDT
From:      bob@reed.edu (Robert Ankeney)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Poor Router performance

     I'm trying to use FreeBSD 2.0 as a router between a Novell network
and a set of Sun systems.  We've been using a DOS-based 286 with KA9Q in
the past, but want to switch over.  The FreeBSD system is a 25MHz 386, and
seems to work fine, but FTP performance is very slow - about 3Kb per second.
FTPing to either side of the router gets me 80Kb and 30Kb rates, respectively.
The system has a blistering 5M of memory and is using a pair of DLink
NE2000-type 16-bit boards (DE-220).  I built the kernel with the following:

   device ed0 at isa? port 0x320 net irq  11 vector edintr
   device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  10 vector edintr

Can anyone think of why the performance is poor?  At one point I ran it
with a floppy-disk based version of FreeBSD-1.4 using a DLink and a SMC
Elite 16 board and I think the performance was better (but don't quote me
on that!).  And running KA9Q on this system shows good performance.

Thanks!
Robert Ankeney