Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:54:41 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re-structuring of the docs

This was prompted by a requested to provide a link to the Porters
Handbook from http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html. I had also started
working on producing a master index[1] for the docs, which got
temporarily abandoned due to a shed-load of other work, and this was
in part what I was going to address. Maybe now is the time to do some
more work on this.

The FDP Primer and the PPP Primer are under books/ in the cvs tree yet
are installed under tutorials. Looking at both docs they are
sufficiently large and well structured enough to be called handbooks
in their own right, like the Porters Handbook.

I propose that we rename these docs; The FreeBSD Documentation
Handbook (fdp-handbook) and The FreeBSD PPP Handbook (ppp-handbook).

Also it would seem appropriate to merge the tutorial on setting up and
using a firewall with a PPP connection into the PPP {Primer,Handbook}.

Comments/criticisms/suggestions? (flames > /dev/null)

[1] There is a current thread bemoaning the lack of an index in the
printed version of the handbook. I am referring to a top-level index,
i.e. similar to that you find at the front of a printed book, not a
word index as found at the back, which would be a "homepage" for all
the docs.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie