Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 07:35:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, davidg@root.com, mark@grondar.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

> > > Suspect your L2 cache first.
> >
> > Hmmm ... it's burst cache ram ... the _bleeding_ edge ?!?! ;-)
>
> Doesn't matter.  A cache problem is much more likely than a spec failure
> on a P90.
>
> Unless the P90 is ovreheating.  You do have a CPU fan, right?

Well not only a fan. A fan with a heat sensor. So I thought I'm
relatively save, not overheating the P90. And I think this is the only
thing that might happen, when overclocking a chip.

Ok, the CPU works perfectly with 75 MHz, It made 2 make worlds and
now I was supping -current the whole night long without problems.
Can I assume, that the CPU should be completely damaged at any
frequency, when I had overheated it ???

So that it's more likely, that the L2 burst cache is buggy ???
At what speed is the cache driven ?? Same as CPU speed ? Or has
is the same base frequency as the oscillator (50,60,66 MHz) ???
I think base*something (1.5,2.0,...).

The problem is, that a friend of mine has the problem, what to
give back to his distributor, we don't want to have much trouble
with his dealer ....

Are there test programs available for the 2nd level cache ....
Perhaps souns silly since this is not the kind of memory,
one has directly access to ... But perhaps someone has a good
idea, how to find out precisely, what's damaged and
what not.

Ok, I could start asking people, to give my their working P90
for a weekend ... but I don't know someone who could ....

--
$$ apsfilter - magic print filter 4lpd      @home : andreas@knobel.gun.de
$$ ftp://sunsite.unc.edu                    @work : andreas@sunny.wup.de