Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:33:00 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best CDROM Writer?

Before I arrived at my current job last year, The Powers That Be had
already purchased a (actually two) Young Minds Inc, CDStudio for mastering
CDROMs. An interesting box consisting of a 486DX PC with custom EPROM, an
Adaptec 1542CF, and another card with SCSI that I don't recognize. System
has its own 1G HD on a LUN which looks like a tape drive to the hosting
Sun. The CDROM writer appears on a different LUN on the same SCSI ID. And
they have special software for mastering the disk from the given data, and
actually writing the CDROM.

I can understand how isolating the CDROM and a private 1G disk on another
SCSI bus (as Young Minds did) can ensure the writer gets its data when
needed. But I'm told this system cost $30k. Just the Young Minds stuff, not
including the Sun.

Translating data from tape to CDROM has proven popular and we need more
systems to handle the task. Have gotten permission to give a trial run to a
CDROM writing station hosted on FreeBSD. I've got all the PC parts. And I
can temporarily steal the writer off a Young Minds system. But if I was to
buy new, what CD-R's are good, and which to avoid?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net