Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:25:56 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Liquid <liquid@liquidonline.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bare minimum requirements for FreeBSD installation

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 05:54:02PM -0400, Liquid wrote:
> Hey everyone.  A family member asked me to setup a gateway in his house
> so that the internet can be shared between a couple of tenants.  I
> realize it can be very easily done using a router, but I have this
> 486dx2 50mhz at home with 8mb ram.  It has a 300mb and 640mb hd in it
> too.  If I only wish to run a simple router setup using ipfilter and
> ipnat, will it run FreeBSD? The only other services running being ssh
> and perhaps ftp and I couldn't care less about how fast it runs, as long
> as it "does its job" adequately.  One other thing, seeing as it'll be
> sharing PPPoE adsl, I'll have PPP running in dedicated mode at all
> times.
>
> The reason I'm asking is because it only has 30-pin simm ram slots, and
> I haven't even seen any for sale anywhere, nevermind whether or not its
> close to reasonable.  I realize that if it would have 16 MHz it would
> probably run just fine.
(30-pin SIMMs are actually still available from specialized dealers,
but they are fairly expensive, and most of the time it would be cheaper
to get a second-hand computer that has enough memory instead.)

That machine will work just fine as a gateway/router/firewall but you
will have trouble installing FreeBSD 4.x on it.
(I have a 386sx 33MHz  w/ 8MB RAM running 4-stable doing this kind of
duty, and it works quite well.)
Recent versions of FreeBSD require at least 16MB RAM to install.
The last version that could be installed on 8MB RAM was FreeBSD 3.2
One possibility is to install 3.2 on it and then upgrade to 4.x in
steps afterwards.  (FreeBSD 4.x can run with only 8MB RAM, once you
have configured swap.)
Doing a make world on such a machine will be quite slow, but possible.
If you have some faster machine available where you can do the
buildworlds and then just do the installworld on the slow machine via
NFS it becomes a more viable solution.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson