Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 10:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hang problems

> As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> [reboot hangs]
>
> > > Rod, ain't this your baby?
> >
> > Nope, my baby is very solid.  It is either a ``well reboot'' or
> > ``won't reboot'', it is never a ``Every once in a while'' type
> > of problem.
>
> Aye, i see.
>
> Where does my problem belong to?  Box is an EISA, some SiS chipset,
> ELSA Winner 1000 grfx (S3 86C928).  Reboots normally work, but under
> some particular circumstances (e.g. if i call ``cpu_reset'' from DDB,
> after a panic or somesuch), it attempts to reboot, and finally just
> sits there and beeps.  The beep code indicates that it didn't find its
> video adaptor.  I have to hit reset then.
>
> This is (i think) still with a kernel that only uses the ``CPU shut
> down'' method.
>
> Hmmm... just looked up the kernel source.  The CPU reset code is
> already in there, so now i'm not sure if the symptom still happens
> now.  I'll watch out for it.

If you do still see the problem and did not have to use option
----------------------------
revision 1.38
date: 1995/05/18 09:17:07;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
Added "BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET" option to disable using the keyboard reset
in cpu_reset(). Some MBs don't deal with this properly.

Submitted by:   Rod Grimes

to make your system reboot then more than likely you have one of the
BIOS bugs that does not fully reinitialize things.  If that is the
case you need to take it up with your MB manufacture and/or the BIOS
company about this bug in there BIOS.