Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 17:27:30 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Suitable Laptop

Nate Williams stands accused of saying:

> > Just as an observation, for people who want portable BSD machines, a visit
> > to  http://www.primenet.com/~acme/ may be illuminating, _particularly_
> > the bit about their 'knock-down-kits'.  They're also promising 1024x768
> > mid-late this year.
>
> No offense, but a 22 lb. box doesn't fit into my idea of 'portable'.  I
> can get a NEC that weighs about 6lbs with all of the features of their
> portable minus the expansion slots.  And, the 'knock-down' kit starts at
> 19 lbs., which is still pretty heft.  I just can't see dragging one of
> these around the airport, and I don't even want to think about battery
> life. :)

You'll note that I said _portable_; ie. everything slaps together in one
piece with a handle.  If, like us, you want to add extra peripherals
beyond what you get in a notebook, or you want more disk etc., one of
these boxes is not so bad.
(Incidentally, you'll note they don't have batteries 8)

Before you start making noises about PCCARDs; I don't see any high-speed
digital I/O cards, and nobody is making them easy to design 8(

> Things are looking up.  Now, if we could only get folks to do as much
> R&D into memory and batteries so we could actually *use* these really
> fast CPU's w/out requiring really funky memory systems and heavy
> batteries.

There was a lot of really aggressive battery R&D going on a while ago
in the automotive industry; I recall the hot thick polymer batteries as
being all the go (except for their oprating temperatures 8) back then,
but apart from LiFe we haven't seen much flow-on.

> Nate

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[