Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:23:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, nickhead@folino.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

In message <3A9FEBF1.8C1A5AC4@eng.ufl.edu> Bob Johnson writes:
: You can't reboot to single user mode when you are doing a remote
: update.  He is specifically asking about the best way to do
: a remote update.  You have to do everything multiuser and accept
: the risk, but there is still the question of what order minimizes
: the risk.

Yes, but make sure that you test the level you are going from to the
level you are going to before risking booting into single user.  I
recently took a 3.2R system to 4.2-stable, but found that I had to
walk over to the console to reboot it in single user mode when the 4.x
binaries wouldn't run on the 3.x system after I tried to do it in the
wrong order (installworld before installkernel).

Warner