Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 20:41:25 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        serges@umr.edu
Cc:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 Eager to go into swap

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995 serges@umr.edu wrote:

> I have a 486DX50 with 20 megs of core and ~20 megs of swap space. With
> a minimal X desktop with Netscape and 2 xterms running I can *easily*
> exhaust the virtual memory on my system! This is ofcourse, after
> running Netscape (or xv) for a long time (> 1hour continuous use). I
> usually have to kill the server and restart things.

    Try allocating 2x or 3x your RAM in swap.  On my 16M/64M
(real/swap) machine, the first time I ran out of swap during normal
usage was this afternoon.  At the time, I had a total of fifteen
windows open.  Running processes included:  xv, Netscape, 6 xterms,
two "screen" processes with a total of 7 virtual terminals with 1000
lines of scrollback each, a gcc building an iteration of a CA
simulation I'm writing, an instance of that simulation running, the
xmol molecule viewer, the SoundEditor app from a nearby SGI, the strn
news reader, the ircII client, Pine 3.91 and various other things
running on the desktop.  A *lot* of stuff.  It was hovering around 80%
swap until I hit the Sandra Bullock home page with its thousand-and-
one inline images that pushed Netscape over 15 megs of core and
exhausted the swap.

    Just before the time of death, the X server was at 10 megs VSZ,
unusually large for my gnumalloc'd binary.  xv also uses gnumalloc,
but all other X clients use bsdmalloc.