Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:46:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Mitch Vincent <cygone@zoomnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quad processor motherboard?

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> So the controllers actually function? Hopefully I can find some that are
> Ultra 2 SCSI, but that doesn't really matter.. If one integrated Adaptec
> card works under Fbsd, then most should I guess.. Someone told me the
> opposite a while ago though..

I remember there were probs with the drivers but it's been too long in
computer years to remember what it was, but I think it affected all 78xx
chips not just integrated.

> The reason for all the processor power isn't know to me right now, I just
> had someone ask me to get prices on the machine and to make sure it would
> function with FreeBSD.. That sure is a hell of a lot eh' :-)

Definately bottlenecks at I/O way before that much CPU can be put to
use in any purely ISP related activity, a well answered FAQ.

> With these U2-SCSI Drives he wants, the RAM and everything, it's going to be
> a huge machine.. Nice and expensive too.

Heh, someone probably wants to preserve their budget for next year.
Don't spend it this year, harder to ask for it next year :)

--jeff

Jeffrey A. Lynch		| JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
email: jeff@jorsm.com		| 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
Voice: (219)322-2180		| 100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com	| Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com		| Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995